The unseasonably warmer temps we've had way longer than we anticipated made Fall feel like an endless Indian summer. But with the first snowstorm of the season under our belts and Tom Turkey on the table this afternoon, it's no doubt officially the holidays. Along with the addition of good tidings, the season can bring an additional pound or two—or more—that arrives somewhere between the chestnut stuffing and bubbly on New Year's Eve. So, if you'd like to keep yourself off the couch and the trans fat, try adhering to these tips from Equinox Group Fitness Manager Julie Bellis on how to keep healthy during the holidays. While nobody's suggesting you have to try and lose weight this time of the year (though what a challenge that would be!), there's no reason to let the wheels come completely off the bus either. After all, nobody looks good sporting that bulky, ugly sweater...in January.
Quick Tips from Julie Bellis:
- Believe in yourself and help others stay on track. Add your workouts to your calendar and stick to it! Recruit a buddy or training partner for accountability during the holiday season.
- Get up and move! Adding short bursts of intense effort to fire up your metabolism can keep weight off during the holidays. You don't need equipment. If you can't get to the gym, use your body weight for a BOOST!
- Cook at home so you don't eat out as often during the holiday months or overdo. Have fun at holiday parties but eat healthy, nutrient-dense meals prior to arriving at the event. You will make smarter choices while you are with friends, family, and co-workers.
- Drink less and sleep more. By minimizing drinking at parties and holiday events, you will sleep better and avoid a nasty hangover in the morning.
- Incentivize yourself! 'Tis the season for giving, so reward yourself. Happy Holidays!