With St. Patrick's Day over in Chicago, it's now just a smooth, easy slide into spring. But after the brutal affects of winter (and that extra cup of green beer), your mind and body may not be ready for the season of growth and rebirth. We tracked down a few Chicagoan-approved ways to get you feeling great in time for your spring awakening.
1) Cleanse: Despite this year's mild winter, the effects of cold, damp weather have wreaked havoc on your skin the past few months. Coax your face and body out of hibernation mode with a rejuvenating facial and body treatment that will leave you glowing without breaking the bank. Temilla's Skin Care in is a hidden gem in Lakeview, offering amazing skincare services all under a hundred bucks. 3110 North Sheridan Road, 773-281-4334, temillas.com.
2) Pamper: There's nothing quite like a fresh mani/pedi to feel refreshed and ready to take on the world. Our favorite spot these days to get our little piggies painted is a far cry from the pricey salons in the Southport Corridor and River North, but delivers the same superb result. Gingerslam Nail Bar in Rogers Park is a newly opened nail and waxing salon that's quickly becoming a destination. The decor is resembles your favorite funky boutique, they carry prestige brands like Chanel and YSL, and it's even BYOB! Add in a super friendly and fun staff and a mani/pedi combo for under $50, and it's more than worth the hike up north. 6622 North Clark Street, 773-815-5607, gingerslam.com.
3) Sweat: With dozens of newfangled fitness concepts popping up all over the city, it can be hard to pick one that will carry you right through bikini season. Our latest obsession is the newest concept from the founder of AIR Fitness called Floor Lab. A combo of traditional barre to firm and tone, and plyometrics to burn fat, these one hour classes will leave you feeling like you spent a week at the gym - in a good way. Jump on their grand opening special of 30 days of unlimited classes for $100. 357 West Erie Street, 312-288-9614, floorlabbarre.com.
4) Breathe: What's the best part of spring in Chicago? Being outside! Boost your mood and metabolism every day with a quick walk or run around your neighborhood or along our incredible lakefront. If you're out west, try out the new 606 to people watch or drink in the amazing views of our city. It's healthy, fun, and completely free! For more information on the 606, visit the606.org.
5) Detox: If you feel like you need a little extra help in resetting your mind, body, and soul this season, consider those two little words you've been afraid to try: juice cleanse. Juicing helps detox your system and increase energy levels with various combinations of organic fruits and vegetables. And while there are plenty of options in and around the city, we like the locally-produced concoctions from JuiceRx. The raw, vegan, organic mixologists offer their own line of cold-pressed juices, cleanses and smoothies in their Old Town juice bar, and even let you customize your own cleanse with formulas to target specific goals. A 3-day cleanse runs about $200, a definite splurge but one your body will thank you for. 1414 North Wells Street, 773-840-0752, juicerxcleanse.com.