I’m sitting at my desk reflecting on all that I’ve learned both professionally and personally in 2015. To be blunt, I’d need several notebooks to record it all. Some lessons weren’t fun, while many were “aha!” moments. Oak St. Social has taken clients with one follower to thousands. We’ve taken clients with zero purchase orders to a singular order bearing a $10K price tag. Yes, we also failed, but we failed gloriously. And our successes, all the more sweet. It’s been a productive year.
Time and time again we get asked, "Why isn’t my feed growing quicker? What do I have to do? How did you amass such a following on Instagram? How did you get your posts viewed on Facebook? Do I really need Twitter? What’s a hashtag?"
Yes… social media prowess is truly all over the board. And the truth is there isn’t one quick and easy way to do it all. There is no instant gratification with social media marketing. It takes a lot of time and a lot of energy to build a brand.
All of the above being said, here are my five tips to creating a winning feed in 2016:
- Don’t try to be everywhere at once. You can’t do it all, and you can’t be the top brand on every channel. Pick one to three and do a really good job engaging and growing your brand on each. I recommend immersing yourself in one feed for 30–60 days before you move on to grow the next channel. Really nail one feed and do it well with all your energy.
- Experiment. Social media success isn’t based off of one formula. It evolves constantly and new channels/apps are popping up daily. Try new content. Throw new hashtags in. Take a risk…the results could surprise you.
- Always have a plan. If you don’t have a strategy or a plan in place, you’re just throwing spaghetti at the wall hoping it sticks. Don’t do that. They say 60 percent of your time should be spent on planning. The stronger the plan, the stronger the performance.
- Set attainable goals. It’s not possible to become the next Nike overnight, which means you need to set realistic and measurable goals that you actually can achieve. We all know what it’s like to set a lofty goal only to fall short…way short.
- Define what success means to you. Pick one or two metrics that you want to concentrate on. Is it more followers? More engagement? More website traffic? Pick one to three goals and set your plan into action. (See above.) Check back every 90 days to see if you hit those goals. Hint: growing your Instagram by thousands of followers overnight is pretty unlikely without a major sponsor or buzz-worthy event such as an IPO, acquisition, or press coverage occurring. Good things take time.
We get it. We really do. Growing your social presence takes major elbow grease and an eye-crossing amount of time staring at the same two images only with a slightly different angle. (Is my post too yellow? Too white?) It’s okay to want to keep it all in-house and nurture that baby. But also realize that the busier you become and the more successful your brand is the less bandwidth you'll have to actually grow your social presence strategically and organically. And for that, you have a wonderful team at your fingertips—students of social media and true content creators, Oak St. Social!
Oak St. Social is a boutique social media marketing firm dedicated to elevating unique brands into household names. From brand consulting to copywriting to social media management and campaign development, we are devoted to connecting and creating a community for both big and small brands. We've never met a hashtag we didn't like, either! Oak St. Social combines a deep and well-versed understanding of what appeals to consumers with an appreciation for how social media drives brand loyalty and consumer spending.